Biography of Tony Beckwith BDes(Hons) MA.
- Illustration and Photography @ DJCA Univ. of Dundee.
- MA Public Art & Design @ Chelsea School of Art.
- Founder member and director of the Basildon Art & Design Initiative (BADI), a voluntary sector organisation which won two national awards for the cultural development of the town it was in.
- Arts Development Manager for Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, influencing the concept development of Gunpowder Park, www.gunpowderpark.org
- Senior Consultant with Haring Woods Associates during which time developed both successful and award winning methodologies that work towards that elusive goal, participative democracy. Haring Woods www.greenheartpartnership.org, CONNECT and Perception AREA.
- Present, partner in MI Society (Mir’raat in Society). MI Society is an artist led socio/political commentator and cultural think tank that uses art as a vehicle for questioning and challenging societies inequalities and prejudices through the exploration of our perceptions. MI Society is led through the collaboration of Beck’Mclean a partnership between artists Tony Beckwith and Steve Mclean. www.mcleaninitiative.com .
A member of the Interdependence Movement www.interdependencemovement.org a network of Citizens without Borders, including artists, educators, students, politicians, entrepreneurs, civic and religious leaders and other activists, who recognize the interdependent nature of our world and advocate for new forms of constructive civic interdependence. Tony has publicly spoken at interdependence day symposiums in Morocco, Brussels and Mexico City.
Tony has contributed to Volonteurope’s library dialogues in Amsterdam and London which informed the volonteurope report ‘Effective consultation with EU Citizens’
Tony represented the CSV at the EU4U in Linz, Austria in 2010. A Live-stream conference: Bridging the gap between EU Citizens and EU Institutions.